Richard B. Jacobs, Partner
"A well-considered, private settlement of the family law dispute is the goal of Hooper & Jacobs LLC," says Richard Jacobs. "We approach our cases with this in mind. However, when serious, thoughtful negotiations fail and mediation is unsuccessful, then we provide our clients with thorough trial preparation and focused advocacy before the judge."
Richard Jacobs has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America, a nationally recognized, peer-reviewed publication, both as a family law practitioner as well as for his mediation practice since 2005. Named to Maryland Super Lawyers since 2007 when that recognition was established in Maryland, he has again been named to the magazine's Top 50 Lawyers list - which includes all areas of practice.
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- President of Maryland chapter, AAML, 2005-2007
- Fellow, International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Chair, Family Law Section, Maryland State Bar Association 200x-200x
- Baltimore County Bar Association member, and chair, 20xx.
- Co-Author, Marital Settlement Agreements, textbook of MICPEL, since 1995
- Adjunct Professor, Family law, the University of Baltimore, 1998-2005
- Co-Director, Institute for Family Law Associates, AAML, Chicago, 2006-present, faculty member since 2002
- Frequent lecturer for county bar associations throughout Maryland, for the Maryland State Bar Association and for MICPEL
- Editorial Advisory Board, Maryland Domestic Law Report
- BA, University of Baltimore, 1970
- JD, University of Baltimore School of Law, 1973
- Mediation certification, Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers
- Arbitration certification, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Harvard Negotiation Program, AAML sponsored special training
ATTORNEYS OF HOOPER & JACOBS, LLC
With extensive experience in the preparation, negotiation and trial of family law matters, the family law attorneys of Hooper & Jacobs, LLC offer thorough management of complex financial issues in property disputes and thoughtful, sensitive representation in child related family disputes.
While most family matters can be resolved through negotiation and settlement discussions or through mediation, sometimes the only means of resolution for disputes is to present the case to the judge for a decision. Whether through negotiation or through trial, the goal is to help the client resolve their family law matters in a smart, effective and successful manner. Attorneys at Hooper & Jacobs, LLC routinely work with clients in child related matters including determination of parentage, child support, custodial decisions, children's relocation, modification of parental rights, educational and medical decision making. Complex financial matters involving valuation of real and personal property, distribution of marital property, claims establishing or contesting alimony, premarital and post-marital agreements, tracing of property rights, retirement benefits, partnerships and investments are frequently the focus of family law attorneys at the firm.
For information about the family law attorneys of Hooper & Jacobs LLC, see the profiles of our legal team, below: